Real menma requires fermentation but you can use this quick method as the perfect substitute and it still tastes good! Best thing. It takes less than 10 minutes.
- Drain and wash the bamboo shoots thoroughly (you can also soak the bamboo in boiling hot water if you want to get rid of the smell before washing it)
- Pour the sesame oil into the pan and stir fry the bamboo on medium high heat for 2 minutes
- Add in sugar and continue stir frying for another 2 minutes, ensuring the sugar coats all the bamboo
- Add in chicken stock, soy sauce, chilli oil (optional) and water and stirfry until the water evaporates
- Garnish with sesame seeds when serving (toasted for more fragrant aromatics)