Have a big mixing bowl ready.
You will make each component of your jap chae separately and then transfer it into the mixing bowl.
A. Marinate the beef and mushrooms:
Into a small bowl, add:
Mix together until well combined, then cover and refrigerate.
B. Make the egg garnish:
1. Beat the egg yolks with a pinch of salt.
2. Add 1 tsp oil to a heated non-stick pan.
3. Turn off the heat and pour the egg mixture into the pan.
4. Tilt your pan so that the egg spreads thinly. Let the egg cook using the residual heat in the pan.
5. Flip over the egg and let it sit in the pan for another minute.
6. Once cool, slice the egg into very thin strips and set aside.
C. Prepare the Spinach:
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
2. Add spinach and blanch for 30-60 seconds.
3. Remove spinach into a colander and rinse in cold water to stop it from further cooking.
4. Squeeze the spinach with your hands to remove any excess water.
5. Cut the spinach into smaller pieces, then place in a corner of your large mixing bowl
6. Season your pile of spinach with:
D. Prepare the noodles:
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil, add the noodles, and cook for 7 minutes (make sure to stir the noodles so thye don't stick together)
2. Strain noodles and cut with scissors so that the strands are not too long.
3. Place noodles in a pile in the mixing bowl next to the spinach.
4. Add to your noodles and mix:
E. Prepare the vegetables
1. Heat up a skillet over med-high heat with 2 tsp of oil
2. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Stir fry for about 2 mins until the onion looks translucent and transfer into the mixing bowl
3. Reheat the same skillet and add oil.
4. Add carrots and capsicum and stir fry for 1 minute (or too your liking. Some people prefer softer vegetables)
5. Transfer mix to the mixing bowl.
F. Cook the beef and mushrooms
1. Reheat the skillet and add oil.
2. Add the beef and mushroom mix and stir fry for a few minutes until the beef is cooked through.
3. Transfer mix to the mixing bowl.
G. Final assembly of the dish
Now that all you have prepared and placed all the different components of this dish into your mixing bowl, add the final seasoning and mix:
Garnish your jap chae with the egg strips and toasted sesame seeds.
This dish is best served at room temperature.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1. (Pickled carrots) Use the julienne peeler to shred the carrot. In a medium bowl, add sugar, salt, rice vinegar and water. Mix well until the sugar is dissolved and add carrot into the dressing bowl. Let it sit for at least one hour before serving.
2.(Fish sauce) In a medium bowl, add sugar, boiled water and fish sauce. Mix well until the sugar is dissovled, let it cool down before adding the lemon juice in (otherwise it will taste bitter). Then add chilli and minced garlic. Set aside.
3. Peel the dried leaves and layers of lemongrass and cut off the root and discard them. Then chop the stalk finely and put in food processor to be grated. Finely chop one eschalot and one clove garlic. Thinly slice shallots and place it into a small bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Thinly slice the beef. Marinate beef with soy sauce, oyster sauce, cooking wine, sesame oil, pepper, chicken powder, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon garlic, lemongrass for at least 1 hour.
5. Prepare all the herbs: Washing all the veggies and slice the cucumber into 4cm long and thin pieces. Set aside for later.
6. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once water is boiled, add noodles into the pot and cover with lid. Turn the heat off and let the noodles cook for about 8 minutes. Drain and cool under cold water (this will help the noodle not stick together). Set aside.
7. (Fried eschalot) In a small pan on medium low heat, add oil and when it is hot, add eschalot and fry until fragrant and golden brown, then remove the fried eschalot into a small bowl. Set aside.
8. (Shallot oil) Add the already hot eschalot oil into the small shallot bowl (prepared before) and mix well.
9. In medium pan on medium high heat. Add garlic and fry until fragrant, then add beef (dividing the beef in small batches for a more even stirfry) and stir fry beef for about 1 minute. Add brown onion and continue to stir fry for 30 seconds or until just cooked through.
10. Divide the noodles into 4 bowls. Add bean sprouts, salad, pickled carrot and beef and top with fried shallot, shallot oil and roasted peanuts. (add fried spring rolls)
11. Serve with fish sauce.
First of all, thank you for being a loyal and consistent AGO customer over the years. Your satisfaction means a lot to us, and we hope we’ve been successful in providing you excellent customer service and products.
Due to global and local price increases, we are forced to undergo some changes to our delivery structure.
For more information please see our Delivery Information