Making the rice cake soup is just a matter of putting together all the components.
The meat component:
1. Cook the bulgolgi in a little oil in a non-stick skillet in batches. Cut the beef into more bite sized pieces. Set aside until assembly time.
Prepare the rice cakes:
2. Cook according to packet instructions then divide amongst your serving bowls (I find this amount serves 4-6 people).
Make the egg garnish:
3. Heat a large non-stick skillet, then add 1/2T oil. Swirl the oil in the pan to heat then wipe away with kitchen paper.
4. Pour in egg whites and tilt pan to spread the mix to make a thin white omelette. Cover and turn off the heat.
5. Leave for a couple of minutes to set. When the omelette is set, remove it onto a chopping board and slice into thin strips and set aside. Now repeat again with the egg yolks.
Prepare other garnish and set aside:
7. Peel carrots and slice
8. Wash spring onions and slice on an angle
Finally, make the dashi soup base.
9. Mix sachets of dashi powder with water
10. Add the dashi powder and carrots to the water in a pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 minute.
Assemble your bowls:
1. Pour dashi soup over rice cakes
2. Add carrots
3. Add beef bulgolgi
4. Garnish with white omelette strips
5. Garnish with red omelette strips
6. Garnish with spring onions
7. Sprinkle sesames onto bulgolgi