1. Lightly sprinkle the eggplant pieces with salt and set aside while you prepare all the other ingredients. Be careful not to over salt your eggplant
2. Add all the sauce ingredients into a medium bowl. Mix to dissolve the sugar and set aside.
3. Dry eggplant pieces with a paper towel and transfer to a dry plate. Heat oil in a wok and deep fry in batches until just cooked. Drain cooked eggplant pieces onto kitchen paper and set aside.
4. Empty wok of canola oil, leaving about 3T oil for the stir fry.
5. Heat wok on medium-high heat and add garlic and chilli. Sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
6. Add in tofu chips and sauté to coat with the garlic and chilli.
7. Add sauce into the wok and stir to heat through.
8. Add okra and sauté to heat through (about 30-60 seconds).
9. Add in eggplant and basil leaves (I also add in the stems for flavour). Gently toss through to allow the sauce to coat all the vegetables.
10. Remove from heat and serve with steamed rice.