Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 10 minutes
1. Slice off the bottom root of the lemongrass stalk and peel off any dried-out leaves and layers. Then cut 4 of the lemongrass into 12cm batons, smashing it under the side of a cleaver or knife to release the flavour. For easy removal from a pot of hot liquid, tie the stalks into a knot and set aside.
2. Peel and cut carrots and white radish into 2cm chunks. Thinly slice onions. Slice shallot and coriander for garnish and set aside.
3. Cut beef into large 3cm chunks
4. In a large bowl, combine the beef with 2 tsp of garlic, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp eschalot, 2 tbsp fish sauce, 1 teapoon salt and white or raw sugar until each piece is evenly coated. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
5. In a large pot on medium high heat, add oil and remaining garlic, eschalot, ginger. Fry until fragrant then add tomato paste, beef spices to pot.
6. Add marinated beef to the pot and then stir fry. Add water, coconut juice, remaining fish sauce and rock sugar. Bring to boil, reduce the heat to medium low, cover pot with a lid and simmer for 1 hour. Season with salt and beef or chicken seasoning powder.
7. Add carrots, white radish and simmer for another 30-40 minutes until beef is tender.
8. Mix lime, salt and pepper together for the dipping sauce.
9. Place beef stew into a bowl and sprinkle the top with shallots, coriander, sliced onion and some pepper.
10. Serve with bread.
First of all, thank you for being a loyal and consistent AGO customer over the years. Your satisfaction means a lot to us, and we hope we’ve been successful in providing you excellent customer service and products.
Due to global and local price increases, we are forced to undergo some changes to our delivery structure.
For more information please see our Delivery Information